Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Seductive Skulls


My interest in skulls started a while ago when I had to draw one without reference.
When I finally checked my drawing against the real thing I was surprised at how wrong I had been. I was also surprised at how many variations there are. It's not so simple as just drawing a bony dome with some holes in it. Each age, sex and ethnicity has unique traits.

When I started collecting reference and learning about different skull types, my Girlfriend at the time angrily labelled me a racist, saying I was racially stereotyping. A nasty, gratuious and completely ridiculous accusation. I have yet to hear of a court case that labels forensic evidence as racist stereotyping when it's used to identify the victims remains. I'm interested in the details that make us all unique, and learning about them is very beneficial for one's art and understanding of human anatomy.

For anybody interested in discovering more, there is a place called Skulls unlimited, that stock a wide variety of skull types, also with some nice reference photos. A bit pricey, but very interesting.


Here are a few from their catalogue. know which is the female? and which 3 ethnicities are represented here?
Don't worry, nobody with think you're racist :)

No comments:

Post a Comment